A couple days ago I received the following email from my brother. This kid is hilarious.
Hi There,
So here's kind of a funny story...
My roommate Austin, our friend Eric and I occasionally go to the Arby's that's down the street from my house. Every time we go, Austin and Eric jaw back and forth about who could eat the most regular roast beef sandwiches. So we said, OK, one of these times that we go we will have a contest between these two to see who can eat the most in 30 minutes. I volunteered to pay for half of the bill just because I wanted to see this gross experiment in eating which would be entertaining and really funny. Yeah I know, kind of ridiculous. So then it sort of turned into this thing we joked about, 'The Great Roast Beef Off by Zac B Productions', that's what it was called.
So here's kind of a funny story...
My roommate Austin, our friend Eric and I occasionally go to the Arby's that's down the street from my house. Every time we go, Austin and Eric jaw back and forth about who could eat the most regular roast beef sandwiches. So we said, OK, one of these times that we go we will have a contest between these two to see who can eat the most in 30 minutes. I volunteered to pay for half of the bill just because I wanted to see this gross experiment in eating which would be entertaining and really funny. Yeah I know, kind of ridiculous. So then it sort of turned into this thing we joked about, 'The Great Roast Beef Off by Zac B Productions', that's what it was called.
So last weekend I was sitting around with said 'contestants' and I went to the Arby's website. I then thought it would be funny if I wrote to Arby's and asked if they wanted to participate. (What I find amusing is weird, I know.) So I filled out the website feedback with all of my info and I explained how I wanted to promote the roast beef sandwich. I also wrote a good amount of nonsense about how I thought it was important that Arby's bring the roast beef sandwich back into the limelight. I briefly explained the contest, claiming that I had a few more participants (8 total) than we actually did.
So, fast forward to this morning and I get a call from Arby's regional director of marketing, calling in regards to the Roast Beef Off. It took me by surprise obviously; I was holding back laughter the entire phone call. Whatever I said in my email had them sold on this. She was very interested in this 'contest', and wondered if we would like to hold it at the grand opening of the new Arby's at Mesa Riverview on Oct. 6th. She asked me about my experience in eating contests (I may have claimed in my original email to be a eating contest promoter), and she asked what I was asking Arby's for. On the spot I really didn't know what I needed Arby's to provide. I mean what would be in it for them to give us all the roast beef sandwiches we wanted? I haven't really thought this through on a professional level. I also didn't have 8 people in the contest. So I got her number and said I would be in touch.
Anyway that's the story. It's not going to happen that weekend, since Eric K. is going to be out of town. I told him about it and he wants to do something in the future so we are going to call them back. So, I may have a career in promoting eating contests. Just kidding.
Truly Random,
love, Zac

3 comments:
i laughed SO hard when i read this. so so funny.
what a fun brother! And happy 10th anniversary!
Great story. If it were me, I would assume I would HAVE to organize the contest after successfully duping the powers that be at Arby's. Am glad your brother has the common sense to recognize that it's just a great story.
Post a Comment