Sunday, April 11, 2010

Happy Birthday Molly!

Yesterday Molly turned EIGHT!! Wow, time sure flies.
Our kids can have friend parties on even years, and Molly and I had decided about two months ago to make this year's party a "rainbow party." What a fun theme to work with! We started by making these rainbow invitations:
Each color layer folded down to reveal more information about the party:

Several of Molly's friends were able to come to the party, and everyone had a great time. Molly wanted lunch to be included so I thought of as many rainbow/colorful food ideas as I could.

The most time-consuming element were these 10-layer rainbow jellos. I love the way they looked!
Here's the rainbow fruit platter; I forgot that I also had purple grapes which were supposed to go on top but we ran out of room! One party guest pointed out to me that the bananas really looked white and not yellow, and that the pears were more yellow than green... but oh well :)

Also on the menu: rolls with yellow or purple honey butter or red strawberry jam, rainbow goldfish crackers, Skittles, Pineapple Fanta with red and blue Koolaid ice cubes... and of course blue knives, yellow forks, orange spoons, green napkins, and red & purple plates.

Here you can see the Koolaid ice cubes; each guest chose either blue or red, and when the Pineapple Fanta was poured in, it immediately changed color. So fun!
I made these garlands with cut-out circles of colored paper hot-glued onto purple yarn. I made enough to go around most of the downstairs and it looked really cute, along with a matching Happy Birthday banner (not shown) and a few of these rainbow colored honeycomb globes I bought at Party City.
Below are the girls eating their colorful lunch. After lunch we had presents, and then the girls all made felt flower hairclips (in bright rainbow colors), which my mom had bought the pieces for on Etsy. My mom was there for the whole party and was a HUGE help! Thanks Mom! We had planned on painting the girls' fingernails each a different color of the rainbow, but by the time we did everything else we'd run out of time for that.
Here's the birthday girl with her big rainbow cake. (The cake is getting its own post, tomorrow.)

We sure love you Molly! Happy Birthday!

12 comments:

Leslie said...

wow, what a great idea for a party! i think i know what that cake looks like inside . . . .

Danika said...

Hard to believe these kids are turning 8, isn't it? (did you see Molly in the preschool post today?)

Love, love, love the rainbow theme idea. I'm totally stealing that one for Natalie in a few years! :)

Kate said...

It's all so great!!!!

Kate said...

And I'm wondering what Mom thinks about that picture you posted of her!

Amy said...

Wow, you are so creative. What yummy food...oh and I love layered jello. I grew up on it and my mom always made it for Christmas and Thanksgiving, never individually. I will have to remember that!

Tara said...

What a creative idea. I would never have thought of a rainbow party. Happy Birthday Molly!

hubs said...

We're taking the power back on the meaning of the rainbow!

Tiffany said...

Aarons comment made me laugh! Very funny.

Sara, you put so much time and work into your kids' parties- actually anytime you entertain when I think about it! You're great! I've done that layered jello- very time consuming! Looks like a fun party. Is she getting baptized on May 1st?

Pam said...

It was a great party! To answer Kate's question, I am not crazy about the pic of me. Actually though I didn't think anything about it until I read Kate's comment and figured it must not be very flattering! I was threading a needle for the hair clip activity, not stuffing my face!

leigh said...

wow - everything looks so cool! we always make that jello for thanksgiving, but it's in a big casserole and i'm sure it's less work that way. it's always a big hit.

Kelley Bochman Smith said...

I can't wait to steal your ideas for this party!!!! XO

Jamie said...

great theme idea. The food looks great. What lucky kids you have.