Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Staycation

This Labor Day weekend we wanted to do something fun without taking the time and expense of a "real trip," so we decided to surprise the kids with a little overnighter at a local hotel. As I was searching online for options, my only requirements were that it be in town, and that it have a decent pool complex (including lazy river & waterslide). Thanks to the heat around here, less-expensive summer hotel rates often continue into October, so it was easy to find a good deal on a room. The six of us fit perfectly into one small suite that had 2 queens in the bedroom, plus a sofabed in the living room. There was even a mini fridge so I brought milk & cereal & yogurt for our breakfast the next morning.

The hotel was far from being booked so we no trouble getting an early check-in time. We pulled the kids out of school an hour early on Friday, and once we got to the hotel we were able to spend about 2 1/2 hours at the pool before dinner. We went out to eat, and by the time we got back to the hotel it was time for bed (for the kids). Aaron & I opted to sleep on the sofa bed, which wasn't very comfortable but it was worth having our "own room" when the kids were all awake the next morning at 6:30am! I had them stay in their room until 8:00, and they were actually pretty quiet and self-entertained until then, and I fell back asleep! Promptly at 8 they came in wanting breakfast, and after breakfast we enjoyed a couple hours of lazy time (with the kids watching cartoons, and Aaron & I reading our books) until we finally made our way back down to the pool for a few more hours of fun. We finally left around 1:00pm, and made our way home with a few errands & lunch on the way. We had a really good time; we'll definitely do this again!

We told the kids to "stick together" at the pool and they did a great job of it!


I love Molly's face here, "Ahhh, hot tub!"

The line for the slide was pretty long on Saturday, but the kids still got a few turns each.




3 comments:

Danika said...

We always end up with a suite and the horribly uncomfortable sofabed for Kevin & I, but it's worth it to get the kids to bed at a reasonable hour and then be able to relax on our own! We are looking forward to doing a stay-cation like this one of these years when all of our kids are water safe!

Tiffany said...

Fun! I love little family vacations!

Tom and Ruth Pratt said...

What a fun weekend! I'm not ready for the summer to end but I'll be you're ready for the heat to calm down!!!!
G-Ma