Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Deceiving

I want this:

Have you seen the Fluidity infomercial?



This nifty bar folds down to roll right under your bed. It comes with 3 DVDs, the fitness ball, resistance bands, and the promise of serious results with only two 30-minute workouts per week! It works all muscle groups with just one piece of equipment. It focuses on creating long, lean muscles rather than bulk. It was designed by MIT-trained engineers. It's the best-kept secret in fitness. It has a lifetime warranty. And, the exercises shown on the informercial look to be just what I would enjoy doing. Fluidity could be my new best friend (although I'm not crazy about that name).


I watched and waited patiently for the bottom line. $39.95, they said. $39.95 for a 30-day free trial; return it after 30 days if not satisfied. $39.95, they said over and over, time and time again. I waited for the catch. None. No mention of any additional "easy payments." Zip. I knew it sounded too good to be true, but I'm pretty sure that if it's on TV, it's believable, so I started to believe. I was ready to order one.



So I went to the website, where there are two choices: make a one-time payment of $239.70, plus s&h, OR, pay $39.95 for the 30-day risk-free trial, followed by 5 additional payments of $39.95.


Boo. Hiss. Grrr.


But I still kinda want it.


(don't worry hubs, i'm not gonna order it)

14 comments:

Tara said...

Lol, or course!

Familia Fowler said...

If it makes you feel any better, it is based on the ballet barre so you can actually do the exercises w/o their $250 equipment!

The Coombs' said...

Nothing is ever as cheap or easy as they say! Too bad!

Laurie said...

Very funny!

But you know, all exercise equipment ends up holding laundry at some point anyway.

The bar might be nice for drying clothes. Keep that in mind if you are still wanting it'll sway AP.

sara said...

Ugh, I can't believe I misspelled the post title; I have SUCH an issue with public spelling errors. It has been fixed.

Yes I know Emi but I don't actually have a ballet barre here at my house, or even a dance room for that matter. OR the DVDs to show me the exercises :)

And for the record, my treadmill that I have had for almost 6 years has never been used to hold laundry! Well, except for maybe a day or two at the most but I have always been careful about that. Not that I actually use it for running or anything, but it sits there at the ready, day in and day out, patiently waiting for me to get motivated...

Anonymous said...

I had no idea that ballet barre was not spelled ballet BAR. I learn new things from your blog all the time!

Yeah, I loved Emi's comment too. Like we all have ballet barres around the house. :) So I Googled them and you can buy a 5 ft. single bar that you mount on the wall for $82.00. I say you get that instead of Fluidity. You could mount it right on the wall of your room! Or maybe in your loft!

And by the way, I am very seriously thinking about borrowing your treadmill again...and not for laundry. If you aren't using, maybe I can rent it from you!

Kate said...

I've never heard of this thing. It does seem very doable. And you would need more than just a barre. You need the dvds and duh, that really cool ball WITH a pump. I love exercise equipment infomercials. They always draw me in.

I'm just SO not good at exercising. I always say that I will ONLY join a gym if I can prove that I will actually exercise on my own (walks, running, videos, etc.) for three months. And that will probably NEVER happen. Oh, I wish I could be a good exerciser...

By the way (I know this comment is getting REALLY long), I saw on the Today Show yesterday that if you exercise for 3 hours a week, you will add 9 years to your life.

Anonymous said...

Do you remember the large MARCI equipment in my bedroom for several years?? It could hold about 3 loads of laundry and often did!

Laurie's comment motivated me so much that tonight, I cleared away the quilting fabric from around my elliptical and used it for 16 minutes!

I would say Fluidity is probably about as effective as my Green Bags. Beware of infomercials!

sara said...

But those green bags DO work, if you just use them! I use them for bananas.

Hooray for infomercials!

Anonymous said...

OK, right now I'm going to put my bananas in a green bag. But do you remember The Cures They Don't Want You to Know About book? Infomercial.

leigh said...

I'm curious about what Aaron says about this. Dan would never let me spend money on this (and he doesn't care what I spend money on) only because he'd say it would never work and that the people in the infommercial didn't get to looking that way by using that product. (I hear it EVERY time we see anything for bowflex or anything like unto it.)

Kate said...

I'm going to have to agree that the green bag do work. Remember how my peaches were good for an extra two weeks or something?
As for the MARCI, what was up with that? It was HUGE! Didn't Dad ever use it? What ever happened to it?

ginny said...

Heh, I've seen these infomercials. I see a lot of infomercials for that matter because I turn the television on at like 6:00 a.m. while I get ready and they are the only thing on. As a result, the website www.infomercialratings.com has saved me tens of thousands of dollars because once I read about the experiences of people who bought the products, I never want them anymore. I will say I looked up the fluidity reviews and they were generally positive--but beware of people giving it 5 stars who've only had it for five days.

Lyndsay said...

You don't know me, but I am friends with Stephanie Court. I own the Fluidity Bar. I sucked it up and bought it at full price. And I have to say I love it! It easily stows away, but I leave it up in our guest room. It has lots of levels to work up to, and it is something I can do everyday and not get sick of it. I bought it after I had my baby, and it was easy enough to use even when I barely started exercising again. I have a friend that found a new one on www.craigslist.com in Mesa for way cheaper, though!