Friday, August 13, 2010

Mindbloom update

This is my Mindbloom tree. Look how cute it's growing! It started off with 3 branches with one leaf each and now there are 5 branches and more leaves. I talked about this here, just a few weeks ago. I have really enjoyed doing this, and I'll tell you some of the positive changes that have happened thanks to this little tree... or I guess thanks to the fact that I care about a fake online tree growing...

To recap, what you do is set small goals for yourself. Daily things, weekly things; whatever you want. One of mine is "make bed and spend a few minutes straightening bedroom every morning." Any of you who know me know that this is a huge departure from my norm. I have never been a habitual bed-maker, and my room has sadly been quite unpresentable for much of my life. NOW, however, I want so much to tell my tree that I accomplished my goal, that I've been making my bed nearly every day for the past month or so and I would not be embarrassed on any given day to let somebody see my room. For this change alone, "playing" Mindbloom is worth it.

But there have been other great changes too! I'm reading my scriptures every morning (which used to be less regular, depending on the week), making an effort to be more patient with my kids, drinking at least 8 glasses of water every day, have days of not spending any money, and just today I added a new goal of spending a few minutes practicing the piano.

The more you accomplish your goals, the more your leaves are green. My brownish leaves up there are only brown because they're new additions and I haven't had time to do enough to green them up yet. Oh but I will!

Give Mindbloom a try; it has worked really well for me so far. And even if I get sick of it in a few weeks, it will have been worth it to start these good habits that have become a regular part of my routine.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I just may plant a tree.

Meredith said...

Whenever I see that name I am reminded of one of mine and Steve's favorite movies, Bowfinger with Steve Martin and Eddie murphy. Eddie Murphy belongs to a Scientology like cult called "Mindhead." I am afraid if I plant a tree it will go the way of my kid's webkin's virtual pets who always had an ice pack on their heads because they never took care of them. But I could try...if for the bed making alone!