What do you listen to in the car? When Aaron & I were first married he had an old Honda Accord whose trunk was chock full o' subwoofers, he had installed own his custom stereo (or maybe his brother had?), and we rocked out. By that, I mean cranked it... whatever "it" was; the collection was vast & varied. It helped that we both worked at a CD store and had over 10,000 CDs at our disposal (they were used so we didn't feel bad about borrowing them; we also bought a lot of them since they were cheap).
When I first had babies in the car I decided to try the classical music route to stimulate their brains. When that got boring I'd listen to the more mellow stuff in my collection and keep the volume low. Eventually we began acquiring some children's music, and although it really does the trick of keeping my kids happy in the car, I must admit that I looked forward to those precious car rides by myself when the kids were with a babysitter. But then something truly frightening happened, when I was alone in the car I found myself turning the dial to TALK RADIO!! (gasp! How old am I anyway! If this question were asked on that "age quiz," the talk radio factor would certainly bump me up by 10 years!) I think this started happening around the time of the 2004 presidential primaries & general election, which I was quite interested in.
When I first had babies in the car I decided to try the classical music route to stimulate their brains. When that got boring I'd listen to the more mellow stuff in my collection and keep the volume low. Eventually we began acquiring some children's music, and although it really does the trick of keeping my kids happy in the car, I must admit that I looked forward to those precious car rides by myself when the kids were with a babysitter. But then something truly frightening happened, when I was alone in the car I found myself turning the dial to TALK RADIO!! (gasp! How old am I anyway! If this question were asked on that "age quiz," the talk radio factor would certainly bump me up by 10 years!) I think this started happening around the time of the 2004 presidential primaries & general election, which I was quite interested in.
Anyway, I'm here to tell you about a CD that Molly just got for her birthday last week:
If you haven't seen the Backyardigans on Nick Jr., you're missing out. When they first went on the air I thought they looked dumb, but once I watched it with the kids I realized that it's a cute show with a cute premise and absolutely awesome music! So, this CD features 18 tracks from several episodes... the songs will make more sense if you've seen the show but they are perfectly enjoyable without having seen it too. What makes it so enjoyable is the myriad of musical styles that the songs are done in: rock, disco, irish jig, rockabilly, big band, hip hop, swing, waltz, general folk, etc. So each song sounds quite different from the next which is a refreshing change to many children's music CDs. It also works great when we have Dance Party USA in our family room.
To complete the Sara/music/car saga, the kids and I branch out more lately and listen to some "real" music, although they most often request "their" music. When I'm alone I do often listen to talk radio if there's a show/host currently on that I can tolerate. And when Aaron & I are in the car together we most often rock out (although the Accord & subwoofers have been long since replaced by a newer car and, um, trunk space).

1 comment:
i hear you on talk radio. although, despite my debate-like tendencies, i actually HATE talk radio and most of its hosts. but even hating talk radio still makes a commute go faster than listening to music.
and, yes, i'm a bore when it comes to music these days. even with the ipod hooked up to the stereo, i find myself driving w/o anything most of the time with miss dub. i'm an embarassment to my younger self.
p.s. i saw this post
today, as well.
Post a Comment