Sunday, April 29, 2007

National No-TV week

Noah brought home a flyer last week from school, informing us that THIS week is National turn-off-the TV week. Or National No-TV Week. Whatever the correct title is, you get the idea. I haven't been able to find any information about this (is this really a national thing or something his school just made up?) but regardless, we've decided to try it. Um, except for any Suns playoff games that might be on. And I'm not sure if I can miss 24 Monday night either. The blackout also includes video games & computer games but certainly they can't mean blogging can they?


At least as for the kids, whose minds are more impressionable and in whose lives the TV or lack thereof makes a bigger difference, I've decided to make an effort at coming up with some great, fun things for them/us to do during the times of day they might normally be watching the tube. Any ideas?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay. So I saw this new post early this morning and I have been trying to think of a great comment, full of fun ideas of things for your kids to do during the day...but alas...I got nothin'. All I can think of is the "regular" things that the kids do while not watching TV. Maybe since it is getting SO HOT here in AZ already, swimming will be another alternative soon. As for me and my house, I don't think we could all function without our morning dose of "Hip Hop Harry" (a new fave thanks to Tyson) and a "Paz."

Amy said...

I have never heard of such an event. I will look into it. As for activities, you can always read books or act out stories. Growing up, my Dad tried to do this many times and during those times, my sisters and I would play dress up or pretend to play school or house. You get the picure. I don't think Noah would appreciate those activites:)

Kate said...

Good luck with this! My favorite time to let my kids watch a show (tivo-ed earlier in the day) is when I'm making dinner. They can be such pests right around dinner time! And it's also nice that when they get up so early they can turn on the TV and let me sleep for another hour.