I just wanted to share an egg-decorating tip that works great for my kids. This year I didn't buy anything special for egg-dyeing; just used the regular dyes I already had around the house. I always like to let the eggs soak forever in regular cups of dye, so they turn nice deep shades. The kids prefer to have more artistic license. This year I did make 6 cups of the regular shades for soaking, but I also made tiny cups of concentrated dyes that the kids used to color the eggs with q-tips. This works great! I used my cake-decorating gels and thinned out a little dab with water. I only made four of those colors this year, one for each child, but next year I will make several since that's the only thing the kids wanted to use on their eggs. They made some very lovely, psychedelic eggs this year, and it's not much more messy than any other method. A little dye on the fingers but it wears off after a day or so. Once I find my camera (I think it got left in Aaron's car) I will upload a picture of this year's creations.Thursday, April 12, 2007
Egg Decorating
I just wanted to share an egg-decorating tip that works great for my kids. This year I didn't buy anything special for egg-dyeing; just used the regular dyes I already had around the house. I always like to let the eggs soak forever in regular cups of dye, so they turn nice deep shades. The kids prefer to have more artistic license. This year I did make 6 cups of the regular shades for soaking, but I also made tiny cups of concentrated dyes that the kids used to color the eggs with q-tips. This works great! I used my cake-decorating gels and thinned out a little dab with water. I only made four of those colors this year, one for each child, but next year I will make several since that's the only thing the kids wanted to use on their eggs. They made some very lovely, psychedelic eggs this year, and it's not much more messy than any other method. A little dye on the fingers but it wears off after a day or so. Once I find my camera (I think it got left in Aaron's car) I will upload a picture of this year's creations.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Sounds like a great idea. But the part about "I just used the regular dyes I already had around the house" is going to be tough for me. I don't have any "regular dyes" that I keep around the house. The egg-dyeing kit is a must-have for egg dyeing around here!
ok ... looove this idea, which i sort of participated in this year. except i bought my weird dye-filled q-tips at michaels and they were way too gloopy. (which may or may not be a word.) dipping a q-tip in dye would be much better and make all my egg dreams come true!
ok ... looove this idea, which i sort of participated in this year. except i bought my weird dye-filled q-tips at michaels and they were way too gloopy. (which may or may not be a word.) dipping a q-tip in dye would be much better and make all my egg dreams come true!
Yes, I got the idea from the dye-filled q-tips & we used those last year. But this way, the dye doesn't run out and it's not as messy and you can have a myriad of colors!
Sorry Jame -- I just meant like regular old food coloring. I always have that around, not just for cake decorating.
Post a Comment