Friday, April 13, 2007

Happiness Pt. 2

A topic worth revisiting...
My sister saw this on Oprah the other day; a psychiatrist who came up with the following "Happiness Quiz."


Rate these from 1 - 7: 1 = Not at all true. 4 = Moderately true. 7 = Absolutely true.

1. In most ways, my life is close to ideal.

2. The conditions of my life are excellent.

3. I am satisfied with my life.

4. So far, I have gotten the important things I want in life.

5. If I could live my life over, I would change almost nothing.

So rate those 1 - 7. Add up your score. The highest possible score is 35. If you score 31 or higher, you are extremely satisfied with your life. If it is below 15, you are dissatisfied with your life. Obviously, everyone else just falls in the middle.


It's interesting to read those statements and really reflect on how you feel about them. On the show the psychiatrist offered way to help improve your score if you scored low. I didn't see the show but my sister summarized the advice as follows: Stop worrying about what other people have and comparing your material things to other people's; start surrounding yourself with more positive people/influences; make more time for yourself (especially moms) because if you are happy, your family will be happy; give up the past and more forward; be kinder to others and yourself.
Thanks Jame for the post idea!
P.S. I do NOT expect to read your score in the comments :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that I gave you something to blog about! Next time I think of something for my non-existent blog, I'll let you know so that you can use it. See you tomorrow!

Kate said...

I also thought this was interesting. And as long as Jamie doesn't have a blog, we might as well steal her ideas! I don't have a number... but I have to say I feel pretty lucky that I am definitely happy with my life. I guess not many people can say that.

Kate said...

By the way, that's a cool picture.