Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Durang08


In my family (the family I grew up with), we come up with clever names for our big family vacations. Regrettably, some of the best trips have been without a name, but here are some names of trips past:


The Odyssey (2-week motorhome trip all the way from AZ to Canada, featuring Yellowstone on the way up, and driving home down the entire west coast. SO many memories were made on that trip! 1988 I believe.)

Spring Extravaganza (1989 spring break to Washington DC & surrounding areas)

Tellurix '96 (skiing in Telluride, CO)

Big Speakers '98 (Lake Powell - one of countless trips but the only time it had a NAME. We had matching t-shirts. There were big speakers involved. And maybe fireworks.)


Ahh - I know there are more than that but those are the first that come to mind. Can you believe, for example, that in 1997 we did a big Church History trip back east, driving all the way from Buffalo, NY to St. Louis, MO and we didn't give that trip a catchy name? Or that we spent two weeks last year in Encinitas, CA and we only call that vacation "Encinitas?" Giving your best trips a name makes them SO much easier to refer to, and come on people, it's just plain fun to name your trips. Anyway, this year I wasn't totally on board with having to come up for a name of this trip but DURANG08 has really stuck - you see, it's Durango + 08 as in 2008. We're really clever, people. (I'm pretty sure Jamie came up with it - I'll give her the credit!)


Seeing as I have about 400 pictures from this trip, it will take some time to go through them and since we did so much fun stuff, there will be multiple posts so for those of you who don't appreciate travelogues, go ahead & take a week off from Happy Life.


For the rest of you, a preview of things to come: that photograph up top is the view we had from the back balcony of the house we stayed in. I'm serious. Can you believe how beautiful?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Give Kate the credit! It was Kate who came up with Durang08. I wanted Durangocation. Unfortunately, none of my suggestions were voted for this year.

I LOVE that we name trips. LOVE it. In fact, I will take credit for trying to get this Durango trip named. I'm pretty sure I was the one pushing it.

What about our big Canada trip? Wasn't it the Alberta Excursion? I think there are few more names out there. I'll have to keep thinking about the old ones.

Laurie said...

I love the view. You'll have to tell me about the house and how everyone fit inside.

Kate said...

Thanks Jamie for the credit. It really was my suggestion. I don't remember many other trip names, but I wish we had always included the year in the name because I like to know when the vacations were. I think naming trips is just about the best idea ever.

I really loved that place.

sara said...

Well Jame at least your suggestions were better than mine (Durango Tango)

I agree, it's best to incorporate the year so we can remember them easier. We'll have to keep that in mind for next time too...

leigh said...

what a great photo! isn't it beautiful there? - i'd buy that house, if i were swimming in money.

EmilyCC said...

LOVE the naming idea! Our family can hardly get our act together to plan a trip--much less name it :)

Unknown said...

That shot is amazing! I love the reflection in the water. Very nicely done.

I am trying to plan our fam trip to San Diego and you have convinced me that we need a name for it!

I can't wait to see more pictures...